From Chilton Chamber President Jerry Mallmann
Dear Members of the Chilton Chamber of Commerce:
It’s hard to believe that I am beginning my 3rd term as President of your Chilton Chamber of Commerce. In 1991 I began my first term as President as a 31 year old wet behind the ears Furniture store manager that didn’t have a whole lot of Life experience, let alone business and leadership experience. I can only imagine the “Deer in the Headlights” look that my peers must have seen. So here we are 32 years later. I have gone from being the new kid on the block to, on most days, being the oldest guy at the table. While I can’t say that I have gotten all that much smarter, the years have certainly allowed me to gain experience not only in my own business, but they have also given me the opportunity to watch and experience the growth and progress of our community.
In today’s changing society, life in small town America has continued to evolve. Many communities have now assumed the role of being “Bedroom Communities” and are wearing that title as a badge of honor. So just what is this so- called Bedroom community like? Simply put, as I see it, it is a place where people live and sleep! Most other aspects of day to day life need to have been achieved by going down the road to another place.
That is not who or what we are in Chilton. We are so much more:
Employment: We are blessed to have a multitude of Companies, both large and small, that are providing great paying jobs for the community. Not only are these jobs being filled by many of our own citizens, but people are also coming from surrounding communities to take advantage of these opportunities.
Health care: Due to the foresight of civic and business leaders decades ago, along with the leadership of scores of people since then, we continue to be able to boast the fact that we have a first rate health care facility in Ascension Calumet Medical Center. and Hospital. Very few communities the size of Chilton can make that claim, especially since we are located so close to larger cities with larger Healthcare facilities. Ascension Calumet provides first rate service to its patients, is a strong community steward and employer, and of course brings people into our city from surrounding areas on a daily basis.
Education: Chilton boasts a phenomenal public and parochial school system that consistently exceeds state averages in student proficiency. In addition, we are fortunate to have Fox Valley Technical College in our Educational portfolio. The partnership that FVTC has formed with CHS continues to offer more unique education-al opportunities for our students and the community.
Municipal services: Efficient local government, utilities, Local Police and fire Departments, make our Community a very safe and desirable place to live and raise a family.
Strong Faith Community. An important facet of any strong community.
Retail shopping and services: We have dozens of local businesses that are ready and willing to serve their customers with the small town service that we have all come to know and expect. It is that same small town personal service that also brings customers from far and wide to spend their dollars in Chilton.
Strong Civic Involvement: Whether it is the activity of the several Civic clubs or the passion of individuals, Chilton is filled with the Community spirit and generosity that make Chilton an extraordinary place to live. Truly a place where everyone is welcome.
This is definitely not the resume of the typical “Bedroom Community”. We are definitely so much more!
The Chilton Chamber of Commerce is proud to continue to act as a catalyst within the community to facilitate and promote the vibrancy of our business community as well as our city as a whole. We continue to grow in our Partnership with our City Government and local organizations to achieve our common goal….The Growth, Health, and Prosperity of our little part of the world!
Just a sample of how we as a Chamber of Commerce, helps make this happen:
- Ambassadors Club is a way that we recognize new businesses and existing businesses that have made substantial positive improvements to their business.
- Summer Festival and Father’s Day Parade is held every summer and brings thousands of people to the streets of Chilton for a weekend of family fun! Back by popular demand—Street Dance 2023!
- Christmas Parade of Lights is held annually and is a great way to kick off the Holiday Season.
- Christmas on Us Retail Promotion is a Retail promotion that has over 40 participating businesses offering cash and prizes for a Community wide contest designed to get Customers in the doors of our many businesses. 2022’s Grand Prize winner took home $5800 of Cash, Gift Certificates, and services!
- Crafty Apple Fest is the largest and best organized craft fair in the area bringing in over 140 vendors and thousands of shoppers to the streets of Chilton.
- CHS Scholarship Evening – Every year since 1961 local Chilton Businesses have presented scholarships to Chilton High School’s best and brightest Seniors.
- Distinguished Citizen of the Year – Each year since 1949 the Chilton Chamber of Commerce has recognized and honored a Chilton resident for their service and devotion to our community.
- Chamber of Commerce Community Directory is a hard copy comprehensive listing and summary of local busi-nesses, Civic Groups, Schools, and Churches. It is a great tool to allow people to become familiar with our wonderful city. This is a great compliment to the Website to inform people who we are and what we have to offer as a community.
I am very proud and honored to be your 2023 Chamber president. Please feel free to contact any one of us with any questions or concerns you may have. I look forward to a great year in 2023.
2023 Chamber President